Ingrown toenails can cause a lot of pain and be seriously pesky.
At Kingsford Foot Clinic we utilize a range of minimally invasive techniques to treat your ingrown toenails. However, there are ways you can prevent them at home!
At Home care:
Some ingrown toenails are unavoidable. However, here are some steps you can take to reduce the risk of ingrown toenails.
- Try not to pick at the skin around the nails or your cuticles. Instead, use nail scissors to trim rough edges and a cream to soften the skin.
- Do not peel or rip your nails. Instead, use some clippers or nail scissors to cut the nail.
- Try to cut your toenails straight across.
- Leave your nails to grow a little bit longer to stop the corners from poking into your skin.
- If you are going to a nail salon, ask them not to cut or trim down the sides of your nails.
How can we help:
We have podiatrists and Podiatric surgeons who manage this condition every day.
- We provide conservative management such as regular appointments to help you grow out your nails correctly.
- Our podiatrists can debride the dry and flaky or callused skin around the nail.
- We utilize special tools and burrs which can be used to smooth skin or reduce nail thickness.
- We have the option of using an anesthetic to decrease pain during any procedure to ensure your treatment is pain-free